Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Oh my....

Oh my. It's been a very, very difficult week...and it's only Wednesday!

My dad has been in the hospital for over a week. Last Sunday, Easter...hubby and I went to visit him, as well as our eldest son and his wife and their new little one, William. He's four months old now. Well, when we got there they had gowns and gloves outside the door for us to wear. My brother, who was there with my mom, came out and said that dad had a very bad night, that he had been vomiting all night. Poor dad ...he did look very frail. We really didn't think too much of the implications of him being physically ill because quite often, especially on dialysis days , this is what happens. We kept the visit very short and just after we left the room, and were washing our hands, after removing the gowns and gloves.,,,,the nurse comes along. She looks at William and says...you didn't take him in there did you...we said yes...she said, well we just got the patients' tests back and he tested positive for Norwalk Virus! Oh my goodness!

I will admit to being very worried about my dad and about my grandson. My dad is medically so fragile at this time that I truly wondered if this would take his life...and my little grandson....oh, I was so torn....my dad was so thrilled to see him..the joy on his face was so special...but to think that I had put him in this risk area.....oh, I felt so bad.

Hubby left early Tuesday morning for Longbeach, California....I really just 'exist' when he is away....before he left we had to make arrangements for our car that died last week and was still at the 'garage'. It needed to be moved. We were just going to have it towed to our house where we needed to arrange for it to go to the wreckers where hubby wanted to get the tires and battery removed. Both were fairly new...the tires about three months and the battery just two weeks. Hubby didn't want to give those up! So I went to the garage and waited for the tow truck...when he arrived he looked at the car and offered to buy iy...well,....I don't do that kind of selling so I called hubby on the phone...they talked and made a deal...the tow truck guy would bring the car to our house...I'd sign the ownership over to him and get the car cleaned out....then he was going to take it 'where ever' and then later in the evening he'd bring the tires and battery. Well, when hubby got home from teaching he had been talking to 'Norman the tow truck driver'...he wasn't able to bring the tires and battery til the next day....after hubby had left the country! So, by the middle of the afternoon of the next day...dear old Norman still hadn't shown up. I called him....'oh ya, I'm just on my way now'.....

About 20 minutes later, he calls.....sounding a little stressed....he was bringing the battery and tires, on the back of his tow truck...when the battery just jumped off and landed on the highway, where some unsuspecting poor person hit it!!!!!

Now dear Norman didn't come forth with any suggestion of repayment so I get on the phone to hubby...who has just landed at LAex.....when he had the opportunity he called dear old Norman and told him that he wanted to be reimbursed for our loss....Norman assured us that he would....so far, nothing from dear old Norman......

My mom and dad are scheduled to move into the retirement home, hopefully next week when he's fully recovered from the Norwalk Virus. I think that next week just may be just as long as this week has turned out to be.

Oh my.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my is right. i'll be praying for you and your family.

Ryan said...

that tow truck driver reminds me of fishing with jason pyrenger (sp?) as a boy. Over at his house, fishing off his dock. Then you pick me up, I go home, and only then realise I'd forgotten my tackle box on his dock. I call him up and he promises to bring it to school the next day. He does, but tells me how after I'd left the waves had gotten rough and started coming over the dock, and had actually washed the tackle box off the dock and into the lake! To make matters worse, I had obviously forgotten to latch the lid, because the tackle box sprang right open and dumped all my lures and bait into the water! Good thing my good friend jason was there to dive in, save my tackle box and retrieve my lures and gear, right? Of course, even though he tried so hard for as long as his mother let him, he wasn't able to find and retrieve all of the lures. In fact, the very best of my collection had, unfortunately, been lost forever in the murky depths of the lake, but at least Jason was able to retrieve a lot of the lesser lures, right? right! what a great friend!

To this day, I cannot believe I was a stupid enough kid to believe him. I blame too much TV watching.