Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Glasses

So Megan's glasses broke on the weekend.......tragic for her, annoying for us....just in case you're thinking I'm hard hearted...please let me explain.....Megan is developmentally delayed..she's our youngest at age 15 but cognitively she's 3-4 years old. Have you ever lived with a hormonally charged teenage girl who has the comprehension of a small child ..think about it...think about having all those lovely 'coming of age' talks with your teen daughter...and then think about having said discussion...again and again and again......that's living with Megan....so, back to the glasses. We took her right to the eye doctors when it happened but they were officially closed so the lady there just taped them and said 'come back on Tuesday, she needs an eye exam anyways'.....of course, since the break was just where the bridge meets the actual frame around the lens, the tape was really useless....so Saturday night hubby and I are trying some kind of super glue..which seemed to hold...we put tape on just to be sure....that lasted Sunday and Monday...on Tuesday she came home from school with them in pieces..again....

Now...before we left for the eye doctors she was going on about a new glass case...without a word of a lie...i told her five times that she'd get a new eye glass case when she got her new glasses....which wouldn't be that day cause they have to order them....we don't normally go to those places that have them done in an hour....I tried that for my glasses one time and quite frankly it wasn't worth it...the quality just wasn't there....anyways back to the cases, after the doctor did the eye exam and said her eyes were just fine....we went out to look at new glass frames...chose a pair....the lady said it would be a week before they come in...maybe if we were lucky they'd come on Friday.......and Megan opens her mouth...and you know it...says...what about the glass case....will I get that today????? Good Grief!

So yesterday, being Wednesday..she comes home from school....'did they call, are my glasses ready?' 'No...what did they tell you?'...'well, she said maybe Friday'...'is this Friday?'...'well, it's almost Friday'...'no, it isn't...anyways, don't get your hopes up that they'll be ready for Friday..it'll probably be next Tuesday'...'why, next Tuesday?', she asks...'because that's a week', I say.....'but I can't see to do anything at school'....'well, I'm sorry but there's really nothing I can do about it..we've done all that we can....you'll just have to wait'.....

A little later..she came back again......'why can't they be ready for Monday?'...'cause the office isn't open on Monday'.....'aren't they working on them?'...'they don't work on them at the office they work on them at the glass factory' (for lack of better terminology)....'will they work on them tonight?'...'no, they'll only work on them in the day'...'why?'...'cause they go home to their families at night...just like your dad does'...'but my dad doesn't come home at night'...'that's cause your dad goes and teaches at the colleges some nights..,but the people at the glass factory go home to their families at night'....'what about on Saturday and Sunday...will they work on them then?'...'no, is your dad at work on Saturday and Sunday?'...'no'...'well, then, those people deserve some time with their families too'...'but I need my glasses'....'I know...there's nothing more i can do'.....'but what about the recycling?'

'What about recycling'....'my class does it tomorrow at school....I always wear my glasses to do recycling'...'well, you can do it without this time'...'but I can't read without them'...'yes, that would be difficult but you can do all the rest of the stuff at school....now, go do your laundry'....

So, the rest of the evening, Megan...did her laundry, set the table, unloaded the dishwasher, played her game boy, ate her supper, made her lunch for today...all without glasses.

This morning, as she was leaving for school..she says...'so, this is day two'....'day two of what', I said....'day two without glasses'......


'Megan, ....last night you did your laundry, unloaded the dishwasher, set the table, ate your supper, made your lunch..and the night before you played the WII and had a shower......all without your glasses didn't you'...'yes'.....'well, you can still do everything at school today just fine'...

...'but I can't read my journal'.....'no...you can't read your journal'.......


....and my mother keeps telling me that I have the patience of Job...I question that...cause inside I feel like I really don't......

.....maybe you could join me in prayer right now that the glasses are really ready by tomorrow.....I would be ever so grateful......

1 comment:

Beth Herring said...

praying that they will be ready!

i have a Megan too. My oldest who is now 25. always thought that name was just the best!