Wednesday, November 24, 2010

#1 Son...

Ryan with son William on his shoulders...William actually enjoys his dad holding him this way....
Eldest son Ryan holding Flannery as she is now..... (I know ..I uploaded the pics in wrong order...adjust!)




Eldest Son Ryan holding his dog Flannery when she was a pup......
These pictures are posted because 34 years ago on November 25 at approximately 7:30am, Ryan came whimpering and mewing into this world .....it was a planned c-section, big sister Leslie's birth made that a necessity......she couldn't get down the birth canal so they were pretty sure that babe #2 wouldn't be able to either. Thirty-four years ago they did things a little differently.....you were admitted the previous evening to prep you properly.....husbands/dad's were not allowed in the delivery room......with Leslie, because it was suddenly needed they just put me out, general anesthetic....with Ryan I opted for an epidural......worst mistake of my life....I really should have known better.....I had two epidurals with Leslie...neither one 'took'....
.......when they inserted the needle for Ryan, I remember thinking that it was higher than I remembered the ones for Leslie's...but I was sooo nervous that I didn't give it much thought....until the doctor made the first incision and I felt it!! I let out a gasp...the doctor leaned over the drape and said...'did you feel that?'...yes!!!.....in went the local freezing...(they were prepared...that's a scary thought!)......I didn't think that I'd feel a thing....being frozen and all....was I wrong! It felt like they were going through my body and trying to come out my spine!..I lay there praying and hoping that it would be over quickly....a few moments later the doctor exclaimed...'it's a boy.....what?, I said (i had been convinced I was having another girl)...it's a boy!
They laid him in a little bassinet, and wheeled him over...not too close but I could still see this tiny, wee babe (6lbs7oz) on his tummy, curled up with his knees under him, and he was just making these little mewing sounds.....so tiny.....he obviously wasn't happy about being taken from his warm secure spot to this cold, sterile room....and it was snowing outside.....hey, I just realized that when baby William was born this last December that it was the snowingl for him also....they both came into the world as the snow came down outside....hmmmm.....
...anyways, it was quite the day.....when they had stitched me up they wheeled us both out into the hallway where hubby was waiting.....he was overjoyed that he had a new baby...hubby loves the babies.....we had to stay in the hospital a week...another thing they did differently back then...sections were always a week in the hospital......I ended up having complications from the epidural...some of the medication got into the spinal fluid and went up to my brain....horrible headaches....then the meds they gave to counteract that gave me hives! A birth to remember for sure!
Thirty four years later, that tiny wee babe is all grown up.....he's a good husband, a proud dad, a scholar....he's spent the last fourteen years going through post secondary education and Lord willing should be graduating with his ph.d. in new testament theology next spring...he's an excellent carpenter, he's made me many wonderful things....he's got a good head on his shoulders...and as his siblings will attest to, knows anything about everything ....he's going through a bit of a rough time right now...he's been trying so very hard to get a teaching position the last few years but these positions seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth.....he's discouraged...we pray for him every day....even little 2 year old Afton (grandaughter #3) prays everyday for 'uncle wyan to get a job'.....there is a job out there somewhere, of that I am convinced....I truly believe that God wouldn't have led him into this field if he didn't want him to use it to further his kingdom by teaching others....yes, I truly believe this...unfortunately, we want it now and our timing isn't God's timing.....it's all about resting in him, isn't it...easier said then done when you're discouraged..been there many a time....
God has a plan and His love has not failed me yet because I know that my Redeemer lives....because..
He runs to the weary, the worn and the weak (that's me)
And the same gentle hands that hold me when I'm broken
They conquered death to bring me victory.....
....and I know my Redeemer lives!
...and he lives for everyone of my children, in heaven and on earth....He has not forgotten.....
Ryan....I type this for all to see....dad and I are so proud of you.....we are proud that even amidst your sorrow that you keep going....you are a responsible, sensitive, caring man.....all the positions you fill..as a husband, a dad, a teacher, a carpenter, a co-worker, a friend....and most of all to us...a son...our very first son......you have filled our hearts with pride....and tomorrow we wish you a very Happy Birthday....may the Lord shine his face upon you and give you peace, my son. We love you.
Happy Birthday, Ryan!

1 comment:

juniper said...

beautiful Mom you made me cry.