Friday, May 17, 2013

A Slice of Heaven.....


I love this weekend.....no not for the parties and celebrations of the 24th of May......and yes, we do celebrate our son's birthday and our granddaughter's birthday...they are very important.....but the one thing I look forward to the most are these......












In our front yard, we have two extremely old Flowering Crab Apple trees and one beautiful lilac bush.......

When we put our additions on six years ago, these trees took quite a beating...the big excavating machines tore at their branches, trampled on the ground around them....some of our kids thought we should remove the trees...after all, they were there when we moved in 33 years ago...and we have no idea how old they were even then....but I persisted in keeping them....I'm glad I did, because if the warmth and cold from the spring temperatures is just right, on the 24th of May weekend ( a holiday in Canada) I see this glorious sight out my front window....and the fragrance...the fragrance that you wish you could just bottle up and use for perfume.....the only draw back is that the dark pink of the trees lasts a little more than a day because the bees get busy and by the time they're done the flowers are a pale pink...the fragrance is gone, and eventually the petals fall....

As for lilacs....my very favourite flower......not too far from where we live is a Royal Botanical Gardens.....at this time of year, if you love lilacs, you must go to the lilac dell.....a beautiful valley filled with every different kind of lilac that you could ever imagine!








These pictures really don't do it justice.....it's a serene magical retreat that hubby and I try to get to every year.....they have benches there, and you can sit for the longest time, drinking in the quiet and peacefulness, the lovely shades of purples, pinks, creams and whites...and the fragrances....so marvelous...

Okay, I'm not crazy...really...but.....I lead and participate in a very crazy life, and every year I look forward to these few moments of serenity....it feeds my soul ..and I think we all need that, every once in awhile ...whether we realize that or not.....

In a few weeks, hubby and I are scheduled to go away for a little holiday...we are celebrating 40 years of wedded bliss....I anticipate, from all the pictures I've seen, that we will be suitably impressed with all the sights and sounds of the tropics.....
.....but, I think if anyone ever asked me where my most favourite place to be, at this time of the year...would be sitting on a bench , in the Lilac Dell.....drinking in the peace and serenity that we all need....we all search for...my little slice of heaven....

4 comments:

renblogger said...

I also love lilacs (usually in time for my daughter's birthday) and I agree- food for the soul. Have a good weekend and a good up-coming trip! Happy Anniversary!

renblogger said...

Eek- not sure my comment went through so, I'm trying again- I also love lilacs and agreed that this time of year in nature is food for the soul! Have a lovely trip and happy anniversary!

Rachel Anne said...

Lilacs remind me of one of the places we lived when I was growing up in Washington state. I LOVED it...I never see lilacs in TX, probably too hot for them. Lilac dells sounds amazing...my kind of place.

Happy Anniversary!! What a milestone.

Anonymous said...

I have been taking photos of flowers around our neighborhood and the parks nonstop since they sprung up! :) Beautiful. Happy early anniversary!