Friday, April 26, 2013

Prayer

I've been thinking a lot lately about prayer....we all do it at sometime or another...it doesn't matter at what level our faith or belief is at yet, we do pray. The believer prays all the time, it's a way of life, like breathing, an unconscious effort....the non believer , or the one that doesn't like to acknowledge believing, uses it as a last resort...'well, I've tried everything else, so I'm desperate , I'll try this'.....there's a saying that 'there isn't any atheists in a foxhole'....or something like that...meaning, no matter how much we shun god in our everyday life, when we're in a panic, or scared out of our skulls, we turn to him and expect him to jump to it....and when they don't get the answer they desire, quickly abandon prayer as..'see, I told you it didn't work'.....but, really...if you have shunned a relationship with someone who is on the level of a stranger, do you really expect the stranger to snap into action and help you?....I think not.

So, as I said...I've been thinking a lot about it lately....something I learned to do as a small child...something that most of us learned at that age...before we go to bed with the 'now I lay me's'.....or before we eat our food....'God, is great, God is good'.....as you got older, you realized that praying by rote is okay for little kids but you realized that you had to start thinking on your own....using your own words, a little more meaningful than memorized verse that you didn't even have to think about.

You went thru the stage of not wanting your friends to know that you prayed before your lunch at school, so you devised different ways....looking off into space, that dazed look on your face...after all, we don't have to close our eyes...it just helps to shut out the distractions....although dangerous if you do it while driving your vehicle...or when you're lying in bed....you usually fall asleep before you're done....

You get thru the next stage of choosing whether to believe in prayer, whether it's necessary in your life or not....I know some go thru this...I've seen it in my own children,...I've been fortunate,personally, I've never had to struggle with that one.

All this thinking about prayer has to do with the situation about Maya.....read the previous post if you're not aware.....

When maya and I went to our long awaited appointment this past Monday with the Cleghorn program staff.....we were given the news that I hadn't even thot about, hadn't even entered my mind....the chance that one of these confusion times would come, and instead of staying for about 10 days and then her coming back to us,...that it would come and stay ...for good...maya would be forever lost to us....she would be in a world of blank....at 21 years of age.

It didn't hit me til the next day....the horror of that possibility assaulted me from every which way....as I drove to quilting....I cried, I begged, I pleaded that this wasn't so....I sat in quilting, quiet, withdrawn unable to talk.....my friends immediately knew that something horrible was going on....thru tears I shared what had been told to us the day before....of course they said they'd pray....people say that in these situations....sometimes they mean it and sometimes they're just words. There it is again....prayer....I'll pray for you....prayin' for ya'.......how many times have we said that and meant it...how many times have we followed thru?

It came to me that maya needed prayer...of course she did...but how....well, I reasoned...just praying for her to get better, which hubby and I've been doing since this began at Christmas....just didn't seem enough....with this latest bomb dropped on us on Monday, I felt more was needed...a COMPLETE healing was needed.....I believe in that...I believe that can happen....but how...how do we pray that....this questioning made me turn to my bible...and hubby's bible...he has one that explains the bible passages...I was never good at understanding phrases that said one thing and meant another....but I was looking for complete healings.....there are a number listed, many that we learned as children...the ten lepers, the sick man lowered thru the roof by his friends, the man laying beside the pool that was helped by his friends....I remember hearing about these in Sunday school......there are others we learned about as we got older....the mother with her dying son, the centurion who believed that his child didn't even have to be touched...that Jesus just had to say the words, the woman , with the 'issue of blood'...that just touched the hem of his garment, and the one that spoke to me the most, in Mark 7... When Jesus went into a house and thot he'd have a few minutes to himself, but this woman pursued him, spoke to him and because of the words that she spoke, her child was completely healed.

Hubby and I lay in bed that night talking about this.....we have tried everything...doctors, medicines, supplements, counselors, ......and yet these people on Monday said it was all for nothing...that we didn't have control over this demon that has taken over Maya's brain. The stubborn part of me says..NO......it just can't be. As I said...it's not like we and many others haven't been praying...we have....so, I look again at the scriptures...these different accounts of healing...in all these instances, these people showed great faith....whether they were the people actually afflicted or their family or friends....they stepped out in faith.....that's what we need to do...but...Jesus isn't physically on earth like he was in the scriptural accounts.....but....he is here.....we can still step out in faith, we can still believe, believe that he doesn't physically have to be here to touch Maya, to heal her....the centurion believed it, the mother in Mark believed it...her child was home and in bed.....

I choose to believe.....I choose to believe that maya will be healed....I am trying to step out in faith.....

Will you join me, my friends...my family....I know some read this blog but don't comment...not even to me....that's okay....that's not important...

The important, the most critical right now...is...will you step out in faith with Don and I , believing and thanking God that Maya will be healed....completely.

Will you?



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

secondofwett said...

Thank you Barb....don and I often remember you in our prayers at night. We pray for your healing also.

myfal said...

Oh Marie, we will step with you and Don,right by your sides.

myfal said...

oh Marie, we will step with you and Don, right by your side.
Myra

myfal said...

Oh Marie, we will step with you and Don, right by your side.
Myra