Friday, August 27, 2010

Summer ending..........

Good Morning Company Girls!


My goodness...the end of summer is coming quickly! I know it really doesn't end until the latter half of September but I always count the first day of school, which around here is September 7th, as the start of fall.

In the last couple of weeks I've once again had to endure major problems with my computer...son-in-law finally had to put everything on an external hard drive and wipe my machine clean and reinstall everything back...well,...almost everything.....it was getting very late in the evening when this was happening and hubby said he would install the rest...including all my pics...but that hasn't happened yet...so, no pics with this post!

My beloved Montana van which has taken me through thick and thin for the last seven years has been dragging lately.....little indicators that a retirement home was calling it's name, I'm afraid! The transmission has been jerking...not a good thing and a very expensive fix....the exhaust system died...I fit in with the teenagers vehicles for a few days....it was also going to be over $800 to fix, then my brakes needed some work...another few hundred, then all my fluids were dirty and needed changing and flushing..or was it the other way around....another few hundred dollars....another thing filled with carbon needed cleaning....the long and the short of it all was that the total would be close to $2000 to get it ready for winter. Hubby declared...'I'm not putting that kind of money into a vehicle that old with that many klicks' (in Canadian that is short for kilometres which in American means miles....we used to have miles back when I was growing up but some government person declared we had to go metric....I've never really got the hang of it yet...but, I digress....)......he sent me a link to many vehicles and after much deliberation we decided to try out a used (we can't afford new) Kia Sedona! We liked it very much....so...now the bank and us are on first name basis...once again...for the next six years til it's paid off! The van is very nice...has all the bells and whistles and a bonus...a sun roof! I like it!!

I can't remember whether I mentioned this or not, but daughter number three, named Maya...that just graduated highschool this past June...was looking into applying for an internship position with the christian camp where we have our trailer . Well, she did and was accepted! So...that means that she will leave home on September 6th and, except for two weeks at Christmas...will be gone til April 29th! She's very excited..she'll be learning many new things and making new friends as she works actually between two camps up north and one camp in Costa Rica (for the month of January). I think we're going to miss her around here...for the most part she's a pleasant young lady....needs to do some maturing yet..which I'm sure this internship will help with...but for the most part she's a good kid, with a good heart! So we've been running around trying to get all the stuff she needs for the next year! Not easy!!

Today, I must take her to a hairdresser that specializes in minority hair....you see Maya's had her hair braided for her, by someone else...mostly eldest daughter..since she was 3 years old. She prefers it that way...in fact, once we did straighten it but it was only a few days past when she was asking for it to be braided....she just isn't into the habit of looking after it every, single day! She's not a real girly, girl so different hair styles, flat irons, curling irons and such really have little interest for her. So...off we go today to get some advice and hopefully a hair style that Maya can manage on her own since eldest daughter wont be close by to braid it every week! I'll try to take pics and show you next week!

So...things are hopping around here! Getting Maya ready....getting school stuff for the other three....Emma has declared that she isn't going to school if she can't get some certain clips to put her extensions in with....quite frankly..her behaviour hasn't been stellar and conducive to me doing anything for her but sometimes I give in just to 'get her off my back'....I know, I know....what can I tell you...I'm old and tired. In fact..everyday she stays in bed til at least noon..sometimes even two...and I let her just cause than it's less time I have to deal with her! Sounds horrible, I know...but I repeat....old and tired...

Next week, we'll have more school shopping...clothes and such....Megan's annual check up with the pediatrician...Emma and I have an appointment with the school about her classes because she did so poorly last semester, Emma and I also have a counselor appointment, babysitting grandbabies, hopefully a chiropractor and a massage appointment...I think the week will go quickly!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

8 comments:

Diane said...

Congrats on the new-to-you vehicle! Recongizing the point where it makes no sense to put more money into the old one is an excellent ability to have-good for your hubby making that choice.

Congrats to Maya as well; I'm sure the young lady who comes home for Christmas will be much more mature than the one leaving you now - praying that God does a great work in her while she is away. (and that she can find a workable hairstyle - He numbers every hair on our head, after all!)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you have a massage appointment tacked on to the end of all that! Sounds like you will really need it.

I hope all the preparations and the meeting with Emma's school goes well!

One More Equals Four said...

I'm so sorry about your van, but how exciting to have a new vehicle!!!

I am excited for your daughter as well. We have some friends that just returned from a mission trip to Costa Rica and they LOVED it!

I have always admired you for adopting such special children! I know you go through challenges many of us can only imagine. I know it isn't easy, but you are an inspiration to me!

Blessings!

Rachel Anne said...

I've missed checking in on you lately. My weekends have been so full that my coffee rounds have gone by the wayside. Lots going on in your life, not least of which are braids and extensions! My niece (age 5) is mixed race with gorgeous hair - and her mom has learned a lot about hair care. I'm sure she has a lot to look forward to when her daughter is a teenager.

Just spent $$$$ on a 15 year old Explorer - so painful - and yet "cheaper" than a new car??? I wonder. Your new van sounds heavenly - enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, never a dull moment, huh? =) Keeps life interesting I guess.

Sorry to hear about the computer problems. We've gone through 3 laptops in the past 3 years, so I can sympathize with you. Hope it gets fixed soon.

I just saw a Kia Sedona and was thinking that it was one of the few that I've ever seen. When I do see one, I'll definitely think of you. =)

Congrats to Maya on getting the internship! That is great news. I'm positive it will teach her so much. I'm definitely not a girly girl either like her. No clue about makeup, I don't even own any. And getting my hair done? I donated my hair to Locks of Love for the past 10(?) years, so it's always just cut and then grows long.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

LydiaCate said...

Car troubles are now fun! I'm happy hear you have "new to you" wheels! And a sunroof? How awesome is that! I've said to my kids our next van must have a sun roof.

So much going on at your house! So excited about Maya's job opportunity. What a great experience she will have!

Having four girls here I know how the hair thing can create much drama. It amazes me how young they can have an opinion about their hair. My 2 year old scolds me sometimes for not doing it "right". ((SIGH))

Praying all things fall into place for you in these next few weeks.

Blessings,
LydiaCate

bashtree said...

Oh yes, please do share photos of Maya's new hair!

Melinda said...

I'd make that massage appointment a priority!

The camp sounds like a great thing!

My 16 year old Explorer bit the dust and if it hadn't been for my grandmother giving me her car which she is no longer able to drive, I'd be hoofing it. Then DH's work truck went kaput, so we did have to get a loan, but he has to have a reliable truck.

Looking forward to the pics of her new 'do :)