Thursday, June 18, 2009

No more teachers, no more books......


Do you see the biggest kid w/the blow toy in her mouth on the left side of the picture? Well, that's Megan.....Megan, will be 14 next month. I've been homeschooling Megan since the beginning of last October and today is our official last homeschooling day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tomorrow she goes to her last school day at the local elementary school and then on Monday she 'graduates'! Yea!!!!
Since, after today, when some of my highschoolers will be done exams, and they can be home....this means that I can actually go out of the house without a shadow! It's been a very long nine months....at the beginning of all this I thought that this would be a good thing...when you have nine kids, with four still at home desiring your attention, it becomes really difficult to find one on one time without weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth from the other three.....but........I had no idea just how much it would impact me personally.....I began to dread quilt class....I would spend more time helping her do something then getting work done on my quilt...and it was actually difficult to really enjoy the fellowship of the other ladies when you knew a 13 yr old was listening to every word and would question you about it later....and then there was bible study....I finally gave up going to that....first, I naively thought she could just sit and watch the Beth Moore video...after all, Beth is really interesting...well, not to a 13 yr old with the mind of a 3 yr old.....then, we took her school work...to 'quietly' work on...that didn't work...then I let her take her game boy (with the sound turned off)...til she had to go to the bathroom on another floor in a strange church and couldn't find her way back! I was very conscious (although the bible study ladies and the quilting ladies, were quite gracious about the whole situation) about disturbing this special time that all these ladies had together.......so,...thank the Lord, my eldest offered to have Megan go to her house during quilt class...she doesn't live far from quilt class....but alas, I had to give up bible study. I am hoping that I can resume that in the fall.
So, yes...it's been an experience........not one that I care to repeat......I'm a lot older that I was when I home schooled two of my other kids for two years.....about 16 years older........I don't have the patience for the fifty million questions per day, just to wake up to hear the same fifty million again....and again...and again......good gracious, be still my soul.
Thank you Lord for all your blessings, strength and encouragement...without you I can do nothing.

No comments: