Friday, October 15, 2010

A lovely weekend...

Good Morning Company Girls!

Well, it seems like forever since I wrote a post! Things have been surely happening around here!

Last weekend was Thanksgiving in Canada.....and we went to Texas! Ya, I know...we're soooo patriotic! Hubby had been planning this since Spring, the onlylong holiday weekend that we'd be able to do it was on Thanksgiving. At first it didn't go over very well with all our kids...'what...you're not going to be here!!!'.....but they did just fine without us...they even had a lovely turkey dinner with all the trimmings!

Anyways, back to Texas...last Thursday we flew out of Buffalo, did a layover in Maryland and then onto San Antonio! We arrived in time for some supper...hubby checked on his GPS for the nearest Chik-fil-a, which was in Southpark mall and we headed there. I do enjoy them....I wish we had them in Canada! We were staying in the Riverwalk Marriott (or the other way around....Marriott Riverwalk)......and it was just lovely....our room overlooked the Riverwalk....unfortunately it was right smack dab in the center of the two streets that run on either side so we got all the traffic noise too!...You couldn't leave the balcony door open at night if you wanted to sleep...plus they warned you that you could get crickets...or was it grasshoppers....coming in....I wonderedhow they could reach the tenth floor...but anyways....it was lovely and relaxing...not a lot of activity....until the next afternoon....oh mygoodness.....there was a ladies conference across the street....Women of Joy I believe...they had several thousand ladies at it....I was soooooo wishing I could have joined them! I don't think hubby would have liked that...although he was trying to figure out how we could possibly get into the little Steven Curtis Chapman concert he gave there! I'm pretty sure a goodly amount of the ladies were staying at our hotel.....I've never heard so many beautiful southern accents all in one place! I remembered that fellow Company Girl Jen from Finding Heaven was suppose to be there....I kept searching all the ladies faces to see if I could see her but all I really knew of what she looked like was that little pic from her blog....anyways, I didn't see her....I told hubby that maybe I should just stand at the conference centre when all the ladies came streaming out with a sigh...you know like the drivers do at airports....Jen for finding Heaven....this is Marie from And if Not..... but I'm really not that brave of a person...especially with thousands of ladies...I guess it would have been like finding a needle in a haystack!

Anyways....we visited a few historical places....one not too far from the hotel...I think it was the Presidents Mansion or home...something like that...the thing that excited me the most was the sweet lady there asked if we were seniors! Hubby joked that I would be in a few weeks so that nice lady said she'd give me the dollar discount as an early birthday gift! My very first Seniors discount!!! Something to put in the memory book for sure! This place did have the most peaceful garden area you'd ever want to sit in...I was wishing I'd brought my book...I would have happily spent the rest of the day sitting in there enjoying the tranquility!

We also had lunch on the Riverwalk at a really nice Italian place , we've eaten at it before when we visited....., hubby looked over at me and said...oh, no a bird just pooped on your shirt sleeve..sure enough...the perfect ending to our lunch....sitting outside, a table right on the Riverwalk.....right under an overhang..where a stupid pigeon decided to rest it's weary bones and clean out it's system....yuck! It was a lovely lunch...really....and the waiter was really apologetic as he brought me a wet cloth to clean up......poor guy..he can't control the dumb birds...

It was a lovely weekend...the weather was perfect, the company was even better! I do love my hubby..he is the best!

It was a very long day of travelling on Monday...we left the hotel just before 11 a.m., returned the rental car...got to the airport......left San Antonio, flew to Houston..then on to Chicago....a trillion hours of layover there...landed in Buffalo at midnight and arrived home just before 2 a.m. on Tuesday....yes...a very long travel day....I'm still trying to catch up....


Oh..and before we left for our holiday...eldest son and his wife called with the most excellent news...yes,..a new grandbaby is on the way....I see a new quilt needing to be made.....what fun!

Oh...and on the Emma front ...things have calmed down to some degree and we are(she is) going to weekly counselling sessions.............. time will tell....

Have a great weekend!


.....stupid blogger was acting up today and whenever I went back to correct a mistake it kept erasing the next letter...so in a few places my words run together...sorry couldn't figure out how to get it to stop doing that!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun time!...except the bird poop. Congrats on the new grandbaby on the way!!

One More Equals Four said...

Sounds like fun! I am laughing about the senior discount~I would get excited about that too...right after I got over being depressed about being old enough! How fun would it have been to find a fellow Company Girl--we need a Company Girl get together sometime!

Congrats about the new grandbaby, how exciting...your going to have to show us the finished quilt and glad things are settling down with Emma.

Have a great, hopefully restful weekend!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I wish I had known you were RIGHT.ACROSS.THE.STREET. Next time, I'll give you my cell phone. I bet at one point we were probably near misses in the Starbucks line. I was wondering on the Riverwalk during our break, telling my friends about you, wondering which hotel you were out. Anyway, so sorry that we didn't get to meet -- we will plan better next time. Oh, and if you EVER get a chance to see Steven Curtis Chapman, you MUST go.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I live in TX and some of my friends were at that conference!

Your weekend sounds wonderful; I hope the long trip home did not diminish its benefits.

CindyC said...

Lovely! San Antonio is special to me, seeing as my hubby and I met there! I love the Riverwalk!

Congratulations on the new grandbaby!

P.S. I think the typing trouble could be from the "insert" button on your keyboard. If it happens again, hit that key, and see if that stops the letters from disappearing.

Les said...

I can't believe you were excited about the seniors discount. (deadpan)

Unknown said...

No -- we weren't staying in that hotel. We actually stayed about a mile away since it was cheaper and walked to the conference. Next time, I think we will stay a bit closer. They are coming back next year--same time if you want to register! :)