Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fading Rebellion

So, I was lying in my lonely bed in our trailer last night....everything was quiet...well, as quiet as it can be with two teens snoring....but the quiet of having no one bickering, whining or asking the why question for the umpteenth time was quite pleasant...there was even a water feature to add to the atmosphere...rain!...nothing like the sound of rain on a tinny roof! Anyways, I was just lying there looking at a few magazines.....the mind wasn't up to any heavy reading and I kept telling myself...'You'd better get to sleep, you're tired'...don't you just love it when you mother yourself?...It even gets better when you take on the role of the pouty teen and say 'but....but....I don't want to go to sleep...I'm enjoying the peacefulness'....okay, so, no teen in their right mind is looking for peacefulness but you get the idea!
What I really wanted to do was watch a movie.....something about staying up really late, when you know you should be sleeping (but only when you know you don't have to get up at the break of dawn) really appeals to me at times...brings out my rebellious side...kind of reminds me when my sister and I were young and we wanted to stay up and watch a particular movie...I think it might have been a Paul Newman movie...(those blue eyes), but mom and dad wouldn't let us...so, after they had gone to bed we snuck out to the living room...whuich probably wasn't very wise considering that their bedroom was right beside the living room and turned the television on, ....now this in itself was very tricky because we had an old t.v. that didn't work very well....something about overheating and I think when it did that, there was a loud hum...so there was a fan, your ordinary everyday small oscillating fan that my dad put at the back of the t.v to keep it from overheating.....we even put that on...because we knew our dad would hear that hum. I don't know if we watched the whole movie...I think my sister could tell me,..but it sure was thrilling just to sneak and do that......
Needless to say,...I'm much older now and my rebellious streak has calmed down a bit....I turned off the light and went to sleep......sigh....

No comments: